statcounter

#####################################################

Thursday, May 09, 2013

Permits, Red Tape, and Rain

Glamping site...someday
Progress continues to be slow as we crawl at a snails pace toward ground breaking.  There has been some progress.  The new entrance permit on the county road has been approved and they are not requiring a new culvert.   I still have to move the existing gate, but at least I should be able to keep these unexpected costs within reason.  I've also been told that the grading permit is approved!  This is a major step forward which gets me around all of the EPA wetland red tape that had threatened to derail the entire project.  I still don't have the physical permit which I need prior to getting my excavator onto the site with his equipment.

This usually dry (and always mowed) "Wetlands" would require  $1500 permit, $2500 engineering, and 4 month public comment period to drain.   Or I could stay 25 feet out of them.  Guess which I chose?
The current stumbling block is the perc (sewage disposal) on the site.  I have an approved perc, but it is 1300 feet from the bath house and is about 20 feet above grade.  This all adds up to significant additional expense because I'll have to pump the water so far away and uphill.  I had new perc tests scheduled for this week for much closer to the site (and downgrade for gravity flow), but the incessant rain has forced me to cancel all of those.  I still have no word on when they can be rescheduled (or when this freakin' rain will stop).

I also met with a lawyer to discuss how to structure the business so that all other assets are protected in case of a lawsuit.  It's very disheartening that you have to take such a CYA appoach here in America.  But with the continuous flow of TV ads from sleazy ambulance chasing lawyers promoting "slip and fall" cases, it's just a fact of life in doing business in this lawsuit crazy culture.  Additional costs for legal insurance will be needed.

It's also a mixed bag of news for renting out the house.  Unfortunately, it's renting very, very well this year.   While that means better cash flow, it also means that I'll be spending more time up in Pennsylvania and more time on the road with a 2 hour daily (each way) commute to the glamping site as construction commences.  I guess that I'll do a little bit of more primative camping in the coming months.  :-)

So, still not much to share on the "construction front".  I'll keep you all posted. 

No comments: