statcounter

#####################################################

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Commuter bliss



 

I think that it’s safe to say that I’ve had an extraordinary number of different commutes in my life.  Between moving from house-to-house (14 times) and changing jobs (13 times) and changing office locations within a job (5 times), it adds up to a huge variety of combinations of getting from home to work.  My shortest commute was from the bedroom to the office in my jammies, (I did that in three different locations for two different employers).   My longest commute was also my worst, from Haarlem to Utrecht.   Awful roads, awful drivers, awful weather, awful traffic jams…just awful.  My favorite commute is still from the house in the Boise Highlands over to Park Center on the mountain bike.  I used to love ripping through the deserted city at 6:00 AM in the crisp mountain air.  

But my current commute is a close runner-up.  Over the 18 KM route from Haarlem to Lisse there are no red lights, no traffic (except the occasional tractor), plenty of woodlands, wildlife and small villages.  28 minutes door-to-door no matter what time I leave in either direction.  Did I mention that Lisse is THE heart of the flower economy here in Holland?  In the spring, the scenery can’t be beat.  Enjoy the pics!


The speckled orange are my favorites. 


Bulb Barons.


The world famous Keukenhof...5 minute walk from the office.



An old castle always adds a touch of class to the flowers.




Lisse traffic jam.


Misty morning as the flowers were "popping". 





And finally to the destination.  We're moving out of this office in July which means that I'll have yet another commute ahead of me...back on the train to Leiden!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks a lot nicer than passing the Bijlmer! -Roma