statcounter

#####################################################

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Fab Four (days)


 Oddly enough, I had never been to the United Kingdom before. It’s not that I haven’t wanted to go, it’s just that I always thought I’d save it for later on in life-- when I’m older and would appreciate the ease of traveling through a country where I know the language.

My UK friends frequently told me everything that I was missing – the rugged beauty of Scotland, the quaint countryside of Wales, the urban sophistication of London. Funny, but none of them had ever mentioned Liverpool as a “must see” UK destination, which is where I found myself this past week on a business trip. I think my friends would be appalled, but I actually liked it.

Rebuilt from the ashes of massive German bombing during the war, then rebuilt again after post-war industrial failure and dreadful urban blight, Liverpool is in the process of reinventing itself yet again. I snuck away from work one sunny afternoon to see what the city was all about.


A new multi-tiered city center serves as an anchoring hub between the older, eclectic shopping streets, the historic financial district, and the high-rises along the wharfs.


Bold Street - one of those eclectic ones with funky bars and shops.  The church in the background...


 ...was destroyed during the bombing.  They left the shell as a monument.


 Liverpool also used to have the largest Chinese population in Europe.  But again, the district was destroyed during the bombing and never rebuilt.  All that's left is the gate, and one block of shops.


Crowd control at a street car rally?    That's one tough crowd!


 

Rally car getting ready to rumble.


 A view from the famous Albert Docks - the place where the latest reinvention started.

And of course, the reason for the trip - The University of Liverpool.

No comments: