statcounter

#####################################################

Friday, August 22, 2008

New Wheels


Well, I finally did it. Now that I'm actually contributing to the financial situation of Dan & Beth Inc., I decided to go out and purchase the new bike. And this isn't just any old run-of-the-mill bike that is designed for doing x, y, and z. Nope. This bike is designed purely for x. And x means trekking.

This bike means business. I've loaded it down with rocks and begun training on all my local routes. It handles like a champ, chugging along with far less effort than the extra weight would lead you to believe possible.

The first trip is planned for this fall when I'll throw the bike onto the train down to Middleburg in South Holland and spend three days biking back up to Haarlem. The big trip will be next spring when I'll tackle the Rhine river route from Noordwijk, NL to Basel, Switzerland. If all goes well, and I find myself some extra time on my hands (wink, wink, nudge, nudge), I'd like to try and continue on and cross the Alps to the Mediterranean. Who knows?

There is only one problem with this baby. Because it is so specialized for trekking, I think that I'll have to go out and buy another bike that is specialized for speed. ( Sue - Does that remind you of anyone? ;-)
Horses grazing in front of castle ruins ... does the scenery from the bike get any better?

No comments: