statcounter

#####################################################

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Hooglanders



Just one of the many wild beasts of the dunes, I see these Scottish Highlanders often when I’m out running or biking. The government releases them into the dunes (and other parks) to help keep down some of the underbrush and also to provide an easily visible attraction for the kiddies. It’s pretty funny to watch the city folk from Amsterdam when they come across these beasts out here in the ‘wild’.

Just the other day, I had to tell an older couple that these critters were pretty lazy and wouldn’t suddenly spring up with gnashing teeth and razor sharp horns, viciously attacking and mauling people who pass by them on the foot paths. But the couple was not completely convinced of their safety, and made me go first past a group of these sloth-like cows that had congregated in front of us on a path. I looked back and laughed as the couple worked up the courage and finally scurried quickly past them. The cows never even looked up.

In addition to these hooglanders and some wild horses that have also been released, there is quite a bit of ‘real’ wildlife in the dunes. I see it mostly during the week, before the crowds come out from the cities. I’ve come across deer, red fox, grouse, ground squirrels, woodcocks, hawks, and these incredibly huge rabbits (with big, sharp teeth). I hear that there are also wild boars out there, but I haven’t seen any yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...rabbits with big sharp teeth? Run away, run away !!!!!!

~Timm & Meg