statcounter

#####################################################

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Naarden


Hey wait a minute! Haven't we seen this picture before?

After hearing that a German Shorthaired Pointer won the Westminster Dog Show and was named "Best Breed in America", Sage just couldn't resist putting on a pose for the camera.

We did a little day trip over to Naarden last weekend. It's a very cool village about 30 minutes from us. It's ancient double moated, fortifications have now been converted into walking and biking paths. The town itself is very pleasant....a bit "touristy", but it does have a nice medieval feel to it. We'd like to go back with our Kayaks in the summer time because the village sits on the edge of the Ijsselmeer and is surrounded by large swaths of nature reserves.

Beth says that I am now a full blown Euro-snob because I commented that the word "ancient" wasn't really appropriate. Having been built in the 15th century, the town really isn't that old. I guess that I still have Rome on the brain. It has spoiled me. Maybe we'll have to go to Greece next for it to feel old to me again ;-)

I've also included some photos from the web site www.naarden.nl It gives you a perspective of how large the moats and fortifications are that surround the town. And of course we had to walk the entire circuit. Our champion bred dog would tolerate no less.

Cheers!

Posted by Hello

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know, Beth...I think Dan's got a point on the 'ancient' thing. Seems to me that if something's not pre-last century...or at least 1200's or so... it's merely old, or maybe very old, but not ancient. Of course,I always thought that 'several' meant a few, but it can mean only more than two. I guess ancient is more of a feeling anyway.