statcounter

#####################################################

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

What a Life!


Beth was traveling to Seattle for work this weekend, so I thought that I'd head into Amsterdam for some fun on my own. Did I hit a few coffeeshops and then saunter through the red-light district? I have no recollection of that and to the best of my knowledge no evidence to the contrary exists. However, I do remember exploring some of the islands and ports scattered around the city and I have the pictures to prove it. These cargo barges, which were docked in the inner harbor, fascinated me. They double as a house boat, complete with car and motor boat. You can see the crane that will lift either mode of smaller transportation off the main boat so that the owners can get out and explore their port-of-call. This particular barge looked like it had some very cozy living quarters decked out with plants and cats in the curtained windows. And keep in mind, those are full size, trans-continental shipping containers that he's carrying....it's quite a load. I'd guess it's a lucrative business by the number and quality of these rigs that I saw. And I bet it's one hell of an interesting life hauling stuff around the world in a self contained house, dropping into exotic ports. The bottom picture shows the beautiful inner harbor of Amsterdam, beckoning the owners of the barge to come on in and stay a while! Posted by Hello

No comments: